Women and men around the world spend millions and millions of dollars each year on skin care products. This multimillion dollar industry does all it can to convince the public to purchase as many different types of skin care products as possible. But what many people do not realize is that the manner in which the skin care products are applied and utilized can affect how well they work.
Following are 9 tips on how to get the most from your skin care products:
- Lotions and Moisturizer: Instead of using an up-and-down or side-to-side motion when applying lotion or moisturizer, use gentle upward circular motions. This allows the product to be gently absorbed without causing damage to the skin.
- Night Cream and Eye Cream: When you apply night cream and eye cream before bedtime, make sure to allow the creams to soak into your skin for at least 10 minutes before laying down on a pillow or pulling blankets near your face. This ensures the cream will stay on your face instead of being accidentally rubbed away.
- Body Lotion: The best time to apply body lotion is right after a shower or a bath because after bathing your skin’s pores are open and receptive to hydration. Using your hands, rub lotion all over your body and allow the lotion to soak in for a few minutes before attempting to rub in any excess.
- Exfoliate: In order to make sure your skin care products can be effectively absorbed into your skin, you should periodically exfoliate. Exfoliating removes dead cells that often serve as a barrier on the outer layer of the skin. Using an exfoliating cleanser and a skin brush, rub the cleanser in gentle circular motions and rinse with lukewarm water.
- Medications or Treatments: If you have been told by a dermatologist to use a medication or treatment on your skin, make sure your skin has just been cleaned and patted dry so the products can be properly absorbed.
- Apply moisturizer before make-up: Applying moisturizer prior to applying make-up prepares the skin for the application.
- Skin Toner: If you use skin toner, make sure to apply it and wait for it to thoroughly dry before applying any products on top.
- Sunscreen: Sunscreen should be applied after a layer of moisturizer or lotion and before make-up.
- At Nighttime, Apply Moisturizer Last: Before bed, make sure to first cleanse your face, second apply any type of skin treatment you may have, and finally apply moisturizer or lotion as your last step.
If you are a person who spends a considerable amount of money on skin care products, make sure you know how to get the most out of them. For example, if you are applying sunscreen before your moisturizer, you may not realize that you are lessening the protective effect of the sunscreen. Following the above tips and also talking to your dermatologist about the best methods to get the most from your skin care products could save you time, money, and a whole lot of effort.
Schedule a skin consultation with us today, click here!